Re: nm-applet und PolicyKit: ** (nm-applet:8913): WARNING **: Failed to add/activate connection: (32) Insufficient privileges.

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 19:40 +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear NetworkManager folks,
>

> when using nm-applet with an alternative window manager besides GNOME
> there seems to be a problem that `polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1`
> is not started and therefore no new connections can be added [1][2].
>
> Strangely
>
>     /etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
>
> contains
>
>     OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;Unity;
>
> so the PolicyKit “wrapper” is not started for other window managers or
> desktop environments than listed there.
>
> This has the effect, that nm-applet does not work fully.
>
> Besides that this problem should probably be fixed directly in
> PolicyKit, could nm-applet warn, if the PolicyKit stuff is not setup
> correctly, sot that the user has a clue what to look for. Currently only
> the following message is displayed in a box.

Unfortunately we can't determine from PK whether an authorization agent
is registered or not.  But what we could do is update the error message
to possibly point out that either you couldn't authenticate yourself, or
no PK authentication agent was available.

>     Failed to add/activate connection: (32) Insufficient privileges.
>
> Lastly, or am I mistaken and other window manager can provide a
> PolicyKit alternative so they should not rely on
> `polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop`?

Each DE can provide their own.  KDE provides one, GNOME provides one,
and other DEs can use the one you show here or create their own.
Basically, if you've built NM with PolicyKit support, then it depends on
PolicyKit being set up correctly, of course.