Re: DBUS specifications for NetworkManager 0.9

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 01:28 +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:
> Thanks Dan.
>
> That was really useful information.
>
> So, this seems somewhat like a WPA/WPA2-Enterprise WIFI network situation.

Yes, except that the EAP authentication is not typically under control
of the user.  The EAP bits authenticate the *device*, not the user, and
user authentication is typically provided by a captive portal web login
scheme after the device has connected to the NAP.  So the user has
nothing to configure except to enter in their username and password to
the captive portal if the provider doesn't already recognize the MAC of
the WiMAX device.

> However, I still wonder (no offense to you please ...), as to there
> _must_ be some authentication somewhere; for as it currently stands
> that NSP is publically available (much like SSID of a typical WIFI
> network); but unlike WPA/WPA-Enterprise, there is no authentication at
> user-level, thereby meaning that the network is open to be connected
> by anyone (unless of course that is what WiMax aims to achieve ;-) )

AFAIUI the EAP authentication (at least for the Intel devices) is done
using a certificate stored in the device's NVRAM that is not user
accessible.  It's just part of the automatic connection process and the
user doesn't know anything about it unless it fails for some reason.

Commonly, user-level authentication is handled after the device has
already made a connection to the base station and received an IP
address.  So yes, that typically means anyone with a WiMAX device can
connect to the base station and will land in the captive portal.  At
least with CLEAR in the US, on the backend you land on a VLAN where your
authentication is handled via a web UI in which you enter your
subscription name and password, and after successful authentication the
backend switches you to the authenticated VLAN.  This is almost exactly
the process that most WiFi captive portals use too, from the user's
perspective.

Dan