Re: NM re-writing /etc/resolv.conf

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> This morning, when I brought my hibernating Fedora-16 laptop to life,
> I found NM had re-written /etc/resolv.conf , leaving only comments.
>
> The laptop was connected to the internet before hibernation,
> and had been working normally.
>
> Why does NM do this?
> Is there any way of stopping it?

I think I have worked out the cause of the problem,
and managed to cure it.

My WiFi interface on this Fedora-16 machine is wlan0.
For some reason that I do not understand
NM created files ifcfg-dd-wrt and ifcfg-linksys (in addition to ifcfg-wlan0)
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

These (dd-wrt and linksys) are the ESSIDs of two routers
that I use in different places, in fact in different countries,
though I only go occasionally from one to the other.

After moving these files from this directory
the problem seems to have gone away.
NM is still re-writing /etc/resolv.conf ,
but at least it is now giving the correct version.

However, I don't understand why NM wrote these two ifcfg files,
or why they appear to over-rule ifcfg-wlan0.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net