Re: Modemmanager - how to send sms? - receiving is ok

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 20:22 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Dan,

> > > If we get an error when sending the SMS in text mode, we could
> > > automatically try to send it using PDU mode; it's probably a good
> > > fallback I guess (unless it ends up sending the SMS twice :-) and should
> > > cover this case.
> >
> > Yeah, good idea.
>
> this is a horrible idea. You will never get text mode working properly.
> All modem firmwares are broken in a different way. Just run PDU mode and
> PDU mode only.

There's two things here; first, we're talking about the stable branch
here.  MM already defaults to PDU mode in what will become 0.6.  I don't
think it's particularly responsible to default to sending in PDU mode on
the stable branch until we're more comfortable with how all the various
hardware reacts.  Second, PDU mode CMGL support isn't required by the
standards, and there are various basic Motorola phones (admittedly older
ones we don't care too much about) that do not support PDU mode, only
text mode.  But once we're comfortable with the PDU bits then we'll
switch to PDU mode by default for 0.5.4.