Re: Sierra C885 nightmares

>>> Not sure if I should try to update the firmware of the modem, or
>>> directly re-sell it :-). My current firmware revision is:
>>> 'J1_0_1_6AP C:/WS/FW/J1_0_1_6AP/MSM7200A/SRC/AMSS 2008/07/09 07:52:58'
>>
>> I would have upgraded it unless you have specific reasons for using this
>> old firmware.  Unexpected resets are surely a sign of firmware bugs, and
>> not really something you can expect to work around on your side?
>>
>> J1.0.1.33ap seems to be the version Sierra ended up with for this modem:
>> http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/Legacy_Products/Compass_885.aspx
>>

> I'll try with that firmware, thanks for the link. I'll first need to
> find a Windows machine...

Updated to latest firmware from 2009. Modem is a USBConnect Mercury, not
a Compass 885, so not exactly that link, but anyway, it didn't fix the
issues I got before.

>> But I am not convinced you should put modems into low power mode by
>> default.  Is this commonly done by Windows modem management software?
>> If not, then it is likely to hit lots of firmware bugs. Power management
>> is always tricky.
>>

> Yeah, maybe it's an issue in how MM treats the 'disabled' state, as it
> would map to low-power mode when possible. We could always try to remove
> that association and treat the low-power mode as an additional feature
> with its own DBus method to enable/disable (which would work only when
> the modem is in 'disabled' state). That would definitely hide most of
> the issues behind an explicit user action.

So, how about a new method in DBus, e.g. SetPowerState(low-power|full)
which could be used while in 'disabled' state only? By default MM would
work always in full functionality mode, i.e. no automatic low-power
command sent, but we would allow users to really go into/outof low-power
mode with the DBus method.

--
Aleksander