Re: Sierra C885 nightmares

>> Not sure if I should try to update the firmware of the modem, or
>> directly re-sell it :-). My current firmware revision is:
>> 'J1_0_1_6AP C:/WS/FW/J1_0_1_6AP/MSM7200A/SRC/AMSS 2008/07/09 07:52:58'
>
> I would have upgraded it unless you have specific reasons for using this
> old firmware.  Unexpected resets are surely a sign of firmware bugs, and
> not really something you can expect to work around on your side?
>
> J1.0.1.33ap seems to be the version Sierra ended up with for this modem:
> http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/Legacy_Products/Compass_885.aspx

I'll try with that firmware, thanks for the link. I'll first need to
find a Windows machine...

> But I am not convinced you should put modems into low power mode by
> default.  Is this commonly done by Windows modem management software?
> If not, then it is likely to hit lots of firmware bugs. Power management
> is always tricky.

Yeah, maybe it's an issue in how MM treats the 'disabled' state, as it
would map to low-power mode when possible. We could always try to remove
that association and treat the low-power mode as an additional feature
with its own DBus method to enable/disable (which would work only when
the modem is in 'disabled' state). That would definitely hide most of
the issues behind an explicit user action.

--
Aleksander