Re: nm and wireless

hey Dan,
thanks for the quick reply, you're certainly faster than the guys in IRC ^^
anyways, let me try and be more explicit

On 08/10/2012 11:02 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 19:42 +0200, igel wrote:
>> hey everyone,
>> is this the right mailing list for support questions regarding
>> networkmanager? I'll just assume this for now :]
>>
>> So I gave networkmanager a shot and am kinda stuck with my wireless. I
>> can't get nm-applet to display the networks in range, even when started
>> as root. Maybe I misunderstood the usage of nm-applet but I though it
>> would display the available wireless networks on right clicking. I'll
>> attach a jpg with what right-clicking the nm-applet produces.
>>
>> Currently, I have version 0.8.4 of both networkmanager and nm-applet
>> installed. Oh and, in case this is any good: my wired interface works
>> with nm (meaning that nm connects if I plug in ethernet (with dhcp))
>
> Only the NM daemon needs to be run as root, to get access to kernel wifi
> APIs.  nm-applet should be run as whatever user you're logged in as, and
> communicates with the main NM daemon via the D-Bus IPC protocol.
I am aware of that, however, I in the spirit of debugging my wifi
problem, I wanted to not mix permission problems with nm/wifi problems.
Hence, I started the applet as root thinking that polkit/dbus/ck would
allow anything issued from a program called as root.

> If you're having problems with wifi, a few questions to narrow it down:
>
> 1) does the applet show your wifi device at all, but no networks?  or
> does it not even show your wifi?  If the wifi device isn't shown at all,
> the contents of /var/log/messages, /var/log/daemon.log,
> or /var/log/NetworkManager.log (depending on your distro) are helpful to
> figure out what's going on.
I don't quite understand where it should show my wifi device - The only
place where it does show up is in the "Network Connections" dialog,
under "wireless" (I'll attach a snapshot again) called "System (wlan0)".

I do not have a "/var/log/NetworkManager.log", does nm use the syslog
facilities? Then it should show up in /var/log/messages (my syslog-ng is
configured to dump everything there); However, a
# grep wlan0 /var/log/messages
revealed
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]:    SCPlugin-Ifnet:
wireless_setting added for wlan0
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]:    SCPlugin-Ifnet: Using
dhcp method for wlan0
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]:    SCPlugin-Ifnet:
Connection verified wlan0:1
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0): driver
supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x01).
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0): new
802.11 WiFi device (driver: 'ath9k' ifindex: 4)
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0): exported
as /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0): now managed
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0): device
state change: 1 -> 2 (reason 2)
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0):
preparing device.
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0):
deactivating device (reason: 2).
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost dhcpcd[2837]: wlan0: removing interface
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0):
supplicant manager state:  down -> idle
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0): device
state change: 2 -> 3 (reason 0)
Aug 13 10:39:44 localhost NetworkManager[3797]: <info> (wlan0):
supplicant interface state:  starting -> ready

So I take it nm is aware of my wifi device!

> 2) what distro?  If you're using Debian or Ubuntu, what's in
> your /etc/network/interfaces file?  NM is sometimes told to ignore
> interfaces that are listed in there, to ensure that when it's installed
> it doesn't unexpectedly change your network config.
My system runs gentoo linux x64, kernel is
# uname -a
Linux <hostname> 3.4.4-gentoo #5 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jul 12 14:59:41 CEST
2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5900 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel
GNU/Linux

But I seriously doubt that the gentoo guys would default-configure nm to
ignore some device without telling me in the ebuild. Also, nm wouldn't
fiddle with wlan0 the way it does (see /var/log/messages above) if it
was told to ignore it, right?

> 3) what kernel version and wifi hardware do you have?  Many drivers that
> are not stable upstream kernel wifi drivers (ie, anything direct from a
> vendor or in the 'staging' kernel drivers) often don't conform to the
> standard kernel APIs, and often have small bugs that prevent them from
> working smoothly; they simply don't get as much attention as the
> standard drivers.  Sometimes a simple fix makes them work, or switching
> to a standard kernel driver makes things better.
kernel version is 3.4.4 with some gentoo patches, nothing serious
concerning wifi I guess. As seen in the above /var/log/messages snip my
wireless driver is ath9k which works just fine in say wicd (and no, I
did not run both wicd and nm deamons at the same time when conducting
experiments).

> Dan

Thanks again for taking interest in the matter!

greets
-igel