Re: Trouble with ICS (was Re: Ad-hoc network: cannot ping other machine)

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 15:03 -0500, Patrick McMunn wrote:
> As far as I know, dhcpcd has always been capable of working as a
> daemon. I guess NM just doesn't like it that way. I had it starting up
> at boot and daemonizing per tutorials I had followed, but then again
> the tutorials I had followed were aimed at using Gentoo's networking
> structure - not tools like NM.
>
> So I disabled dhcpcd from starting at boot. Now everything works
> perfectly. I even have WPA encryption working over ad-hoc, and until
> recently I had been led to believe that was impossible.

Hmm, this is something I guess we need to look into, since NM would need
some adjustment to support this.  I guess we'd also need to know if
dhcpcd was in this configuration or not, since that affects how NM
handles the process exiting.

> The only loose end is with ifnet. I had to disable it to get NM to
> behave itself properly, so I'll report those issues to ifnet's
> upstream.

Yeah, the Gentoo people are pretty good about these sorts of things.  It
might come back to this list eventually though :)

Dan