Re: connect to internet via android phone as usb-modem

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 23:16:43 +0100
Torsten Spindler <torsten canonical com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 15:50 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > That said, the best way to go about this is likely to use udev
> > scripts to initially create the easytether0 interface, and then we
> > could add some custom code to NM to recognize the easytether0
> > interface as a normal ethernet device and run DHCP on it.  That
> > wouldn't be *too* hard, probably < 30 lines of code.  It would
> > involve using g_str_has_prefix() looking for easytether in the
> > nm-udev-manager.c code, and if so, bypassing some of the
> > udev /sysfs hierarchy checks that determine hardware relationships
> > and device attributes like driver and description.  That's not
> > something we should be doing for most "virtual" network interfaces,
> > but it's probably OK in the case of easytether.
>
> Thanks for the advice where to patch network manager. Attached is a
> very first version, plus a basic udev rule for a Motorola Milestone
> and connect script. It works fine on my Ubuntu 10.04 machine right
> now, though it could use some polishing.

Minor typo in "ignorning device driver not found"  :)

Here's what shows in syslog:
  <warn> /sys/devices/virtual/net/easytether0: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
  <warn> easytether0: is an easytether device, ignorning device driver not found
  <warn> Ignoring driver = NULL for easytether
Perhaps have the code that spawns the first warning not do that if it's an easytether device..

Anyway, the NetworkManager side of this works fine - thanks!
For whatever reason, /usr/local/bin/easytether is not getting
started, so I still have to run that manually.  I've edited
the sample udev rule with correct attributes for my device,
so I don't know what's going on.  No big deal - I'll mess with
that later...

As an aside, it would be nice if the mobile-stream folks (authors
of easytether) would address the missing sysfs bits, and perhaps
make the easytether client daemonize properly -- currently it grabs
the console regardless of whether it's backgrounded or not.

I mailed them quite some time ago asking for an ARM client, and
they indicated that the plan was to eventually open-source the
linux client.  Perhaps some encouragement from here will help :-)

-RW