Re: location based firewall

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 05:55:54PM +0100, Matej Kovacic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > We've talked about this sort of vague plan in the past, tweaking the
> > firewall settings based on your location.  Obviously that doesn't work
> > so well for wired because you're never 100% what network you're
> > connected to, but for wifi if the AP requires a passphrase or is WPA
> > Enterprise, you're pretty sure you can trust your location.
> What about arp -a or nmap gateway IP?

Using the MAC address of the gateway as discovered by ARP seems
reasonable, but nmapping the gateway IP is not.  I will ban any device
on my network that scans the router.

Keep in mind though that sometimes the MAC address might change...like
various redundancy setups, hardware replacement, etc.  It might also
change if you plug into a different subnet of the same router in the
same administrative domain (or it might not, depending on the model
and configuration of the router(s)).  That could be useful or not
depending on your perspective.  I suppose that would happen
infrequently enough that the MAC address is "good enough" for a stable
LAN identifier.  Ideally, the user should be able to pick a location
such that they could associate the same location with the various
subnets and/or WiFI SSIDs they connect to that are part of the same
administrative domain.