Re: location based firewall

2011/2/28 Matej Kovacic <matej kovacic owca info>:
> Hi,
>
>> I have that setup. I solved it with scripts in
>> /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/.
>> you find UUIDs on command line with "nmcli con".
>

> That is very nice and opens possibilities for developing location based
> firewalls. For instance, when I am at home, I want to have my samba
> share open, but when I am on wireless connection, I want to have
> everything closed.

I have exactly that. I have a collection of scripts which do similar
thing with my setup:

Wireless connection to HOME is established:
- start VPN connection to XXX
- start SSH tunnels
- open firewall for some external connections
- rsync backup my /home folder with a server

And when wireless connection is gone ssh tunnels will be "killed",
firewall closed, vpn stopped...

> As far as I know Windows 7 has some similar location based firewall.

no idea about that, I do not use it.

> Are there any plans to create GUI for that? I have read old posts, and
> there were some discussions about per-connection bandwith settings. That
> would be also useful, but much more useful would be option to have
> firewll integrated into NM (for instance ufw).
>
> It would be great that Network Manager became complete network
> management center...

absolutely my opinion.