Re: location based firewall

Hi,

> We've talked about this sort of vague plan in the past, tweaking the
> firewall settings based on your location.  Obviously that doesn't work
> so well for wired because you're never 100% what network you're
> connected to, but for wifi if the AP requires a passphrase or is WPA
> Enterprise, you're pretty sure you can trust your location.
What about arp -a or nmap gateway IP?

> The UUID goes a long way towards helping with this, but there are
> fundamentally two approaches:  either we have some sort of NM plugin
> manipulate the firewall, or we have the firewall listen to NM... either
> are doable.
The second approach requires modification of a firewall: firewall must
be "NetworkManager aware". That could be a problem, because NM and
firewall development should be coordinated in some way (maybe harmonised
is a better word).

The first approach could be more useful, because it will allow users to
use different firewall applications...

Regards,
Matej