Re: manually configured interfaces ?

On Wednesday 05 of January 2011 08:21:22 Niall Parker wrote:
> On 11-01-04 06:06 AM, Jirka Klimes wrote:
> > On Friday 31 of December 2010 08:17:23 Niall Parker wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'd like to retain network-manager for my wifi and 3G connections but
> >> dedicate the wired connection to a static connection, dedicated private
> >> subnet. From reading various doc's I understood that including
> >> configuration in /etc/networking/interfaces would be sufficient for
> >> network-manager to leave it alone, but after working for a bit it
> >> disappears. Is there some other config needed to make it manual ?
> >>
> >> Using Ubuntu 10.10, standard network-manager package from repos, 0.8.1
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > You are right. If you include an interface in /etc/networking/interfaces,
> > NetworkManager should ignore it (when you use ifupdown plugin). You can
> > verify that in the logs (/var/log/daemon.log) or by nm-tool.
> >
> > The configuration is described in manual page:
> > man NetworkManager.conf
> >
> > What's in your NetworkManager.conf?
>
> Didn't find NetworkManager.conf but found nm-system-settings.conf
> instead, I assume it is a synonym.
> 8<-----
>
> [main]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
>
> [ifupdown]
> managed=false
>
> 8<----
>
> I also found a file in system-connections for 'Wired Connection' so I
> removed it as well since I didn't want NM to touch the network
> connection. It seems to be stable now, thanks !
>
> I noted another issue though now that I have the wired connection no
> longer managed ... the nm-applet no longer shows up in the notification
> area (though is running according to ps). My wireless defaults to off
> and I was enabling it via the applet before but couldn't get at it
> anymore. Presently using 'nmcli nm wifi on' to enable via the command
> line, once up the applet shows up as expected. Is there a config setting
> to force the applet to show even when no hardware is enabled ?

nm-applet icon will be visible when NetworkManager is running (and nm-applet
is running, of course), even if interfaces are unmanaged. So check that the
daemon is executed.

nm-applet icon also dissapears when notifcation area widget is removed. If it
is the case, right click the panel -> "Add to Panel..." -> and add
"Notification Area"

Jirka