Re: Please add SAE support for WiFi

On 12/16/2011 01:06 PM, Larry Finger wrote:

I sent this message also to the Fedora test list. That is the closest list I am
on to the developers.

I am right now in the need of a new AP, so I am searching for one that I can
afford that will be able to get SAE support.

You should send your request to linux-wireless vger kernel org. That is where
most of the developers of the IEEE80211 MAC layer, the supplicant, and the
device drivers can be found.

Thanks. I sent a subscribe for the list, and a search of the archives found:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=130145440930760&w=2

Which seems to show SAE support in user space. So I wonder if it is in my f16
install?

When SAE support is available in Linux, you would be able to implement it in
nearly every router that runs openWRT. Only those units with very limited
memory would be excluded. As openWRT-capable APs are mostly consumer grade,
they should be affordable.

And f16 with gnome 3.2 as well....

That set of patches were accepted into the wireless-testing tree on April 7, 2011, and should be in any 3.1 or later kernel. I think you should have it in f16. I have no idea where to get the userspace tools.

If your wireless device supports AP mode (not all do), then you could use your laptop as an AP.

Larry