Re: Moving resolv.conf to /var

Am 03.08.2011 20:14, schrieb Evan Broder:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Klaus Lichtenwalder
> <k lichtenwalder computer org> wrote:
>> Am 03.08.2011 20:07, schrieb Michał Górny:
>>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 20:01:15 +0200
>>> Klaus Lichtenwalder <k lichtenwalder computer org> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> As I mentioned earlier, symlink is no solution but a workaround
>>> introducing further breakage possibilities. Most importantly it won't
>>> allow you to have fallback /etc/resolv.conf. And the symlink will be
>>> invalid if one uses separate /var and /var hasn't been mounted yet.
>>
>> Yeah, I've been posting too early for your argument, and you're right. I
>> don't think /var not being mounted will be a problem (haven't thought it
>> through, though), because that's so early in the boot process that name
>> resolution might not yet be a problem. (Network probably isn't up either).
>
> This is exactly what /run was created for, so why not call it
> /run/resolv.conf instead of /var/run and avoid that problem entirely?

Well, /run is very new, from debian, if I recall correctly... So, yes,
on one way we want something (very) new, I don't know whether the
semantics for /run are fixed. Or /run is accepted widely enough?

Klaus

 Klaus Lichtenwalder, Dipl. Inform.,  http://www.lichtenwalder.name
 PGP Key fingerprint: BF52 72FA 1F5A 1E29 C0F8  498C C4C6 633C 2821 97DA