Re: Moving resolv.conf to /var

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 20:01:15 +0200
Klaus Lichtenwalder <k lichtenwalder computer org> wrote:

> Am 03.08.2011 10:29, schrieb Michał Górny:
> > Hello,
> >
> > AFAIK NetworkManager is the most common tool which keeps writing
> > to /etc/resolv.conf file during runtime. Such a solution makes it
> > hard to support configurations where rootfs in read-only most of
> > the time.
> >
> > That's why I'm considering moving the resolv.conf file to /var. I'm
> > not sure about the exact location there but /var seems much better
> > for non-static resolver configs.
> >
> > I think that the best solution would be to patch glibc so it will
> > first try to load 'dynamic' resolv.conf from /var, and then
> > fallback to static configs in /etc.
> >
> > I'd really appreciate any kind of feedback on that idea.

> And your and other peoples reasons are more than valid. So, I think
> the most nonintrusive way would be to have a symbolic link to probably
> /var/run/resolv.conf, which would also work if the file isn't there...
> It could belong to a group with members that are allowed to write
> there. Dhcp, MM, ppp probably...

As I mentioned earlier, symlink is no solution but a workaround
introducing further breakage possibilities. Most importantly it won't
allow you to have fallback /etc/resolv.conf. And the symlink will be
invalid if one uses separate /var and /var hasn't been mounted yet.

And finally having the symlink is no global solution. It can be done
for a single system but won't solve the issue once and for all.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny