bug found!!! feature request!

hi,
thank you for your hard work to make linux better!
on the way of using my lively ubuntu i found a little problem that become big to me.
i have a laptop sony vaio vgn-c240e and is assembled with pci express network card. it works fine but some times the signal is not good. because of that i bought usb wifi card with rtl8187 chipset. nice huge range but network manager could not give me option to choose which network card to use as a primary. network manager is continuously trying to connect via the both network cards and the result is disappointing - no network connection. i tried to stop the wlan0 interface by typing " sudo ifconfig wlan0 down", after the output from executing ifcnfig does not shows me this interface, but this does not affect the work of network manager.
help me please! i am sure other people like me will be happy too!
thank you for your attention!
trif