Re: Unable to connect to mobile broadband: +CME ERROR:30

Am Mittwoch, den 13.10.2010, 21:00 +0200 schrieb van Schelve
<public van-schelve de>:
> Am Mittwoch, den 13.10.2010, 12:49 +0200 schrieb Dan Williams
> <dcbw redhat com>:
>> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 10:43 +0200, van Schelve wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I found a different problem where I get reports from our users in the
>>> field. They tell us that they are not able to connect to mobile
>>> network.
>>>
>>> In the logs I captured I found a cme error 30 which means "No network
>>> service". I tried it two or three times with still the same problem.
>>> Then I tested with a second identical laptop with an identical setup
>>> and I was able to bring up the mobile connection on this system without
>>> any problem.
>>>
>>> So I decided to use the rfkill switch on the laptop where I found the
>>> problem with the result that dialin was possible after doing th rfkill
>>> cycle.
>>
>> Interesting; your module seems to have firmware 1.1.8.3, while I have 3
>> different modules with 1.1.8.15, 1.1.9.3, and 2.0.8.19.  I think
>> 2.0.8.19 screwed my device though, so don't try it.  I've noticed odd
>> problems like this on other Sierra devices in the past that were solved
>> by firmware updates (AC875 and AC881), but it's pretty hard to find
>> firmware upgrades for their  embedded modules.  Do you know offhand if
>> any of the devices in the field has other firmware than 1.1.8.3?
>
> We have completely identical hardware in the field. All the systems are
> Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with identical BIOS 2.10 version and the same
> firmware
> on the embedded sierra device : 1.1.8.3. I think changing the firmware
> a different version woud be a really bad option. Our systems are spread
> all over germany and I don't think the firmware update would be
> possible
> under linux.

I talked about this problem with a contact at SierraWireless. He said
that
a firmware upgrade will not help in this case. But what can help is
checking
for PS attach and dial only if PS attach status is attached. Dialing
without
PS attach can bring modem into unwanted condition that sometimes
restart is
needed to recover.