is there anyone here who understands the vpn implementation

I've asked a few questions and gotten deafening silence. I'm not a bozo, and I was hoping for slightly more.

Is there anyone here who understands the VPN plugin implementation in network manager?

Is it necessary for a VPN plugin to allow network manager to manage the routing and tunneling once the VPN is setup, or is it ok if the VPN plugin does that itself?

What is the mechanism by which the VPN plugin should communicate to network manager that the connection is live? nm_vpn_plugin_set_state (..., NM_VPN_SERVICE_STATE_STARTED) does not work, and the vpnc plugin doesn't even do that much, yet of course it works.

Thomas