Re: Is it possible that a command line interface to the network-manager functionality could be added?

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:43, Tassilo Horn <tassilo member fsf org> wrote:
> Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar gmail com> writes:
>
> Hi Andrey,
>
>>> I once looked at nmcli, but I couldn't figure out how to use it.  To
>>> be more specific, how do I tell it to connect to the WIFI with SSID
>>> "foo" using WPA2 with user "jon" and password "secret"?  Currently, I
>>> use cnetworkmanager for that.
>>
>> You can't do it with nmcli; you can only request it to activate
>> predefined connection. cnetworkmanager builds connection definition
>> on-the-fly
>
> Ah, I see.
>
>>> Do I understand it correctly, that currently nmcli only supports
>>> connections you have previously setup using nm-applet?
>>
>> More general. it supports any connection exported by NM
>>
>>> cannot "see" those.  Is that because I use knetworkmanager instead of
>>> nm-applet, and thus my credentials are stored in kwallet instead of
>>> the Gnome keyring?  Or do I need to start a DBUS session bus somehow
>>> first?
>>
>> I do see connections defined in knetworkmanager but it needs
>> knetworkmanager running.
>
> Oh, indeed, I see those, too.  But my need is to have a cmd line
> interface to networkmanager when I have broken my X install, so there's
> no way to start knetworkmanager.
You may be interested in my python-networkmanager library:
https://github.com/tweakt/python-networkmanager

The wifi support isn't really there yet, and there's some class
restructuring that needs to be done, but you might be able to use it
as a starting point.