Re: vpnc plugin

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 12:36 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver greg gmail com> wrote:
> > I've was using NM/vpnc quite a bit a while back...  I always had
> > specific routes based on the client networks I need to reach, which
> > worked well since they are all cisco based and 90% do not have split
> > horizon enabled.
> >
> > I just took a new job and am once again required to vpn into numerous
> > clients sites, but I no longer can *see* the gateway since the
> > changeover to tun..  Without the gateway IP, the nm configuration gui
> > will not let me add routes.  Is there a workaround or something to let
> > me specify tun0 rather than an IP address for the gateway?
> >
> > I do not mind editing files or something, but there are some vpns that
> > have numerous concentrators that are RR'ed, etc, so using a static IP
> > for the gateway is kind of pointless anyhow.
> >
> > It has been so long since I have used all of this, I cannot even find
> > the config files for the VPNs - I could have sworn they used to be
> > right by my 802.11 configs from nm-applet, but they are not there..  I
> > cannot find them in gconf either!  I must be lost.
>
> Well, I found the config files in gconf finally.  I forgot they were
> "mixed" in with non-vpn connections.  The IPs are all stored in
> decimal though..  Does anyone know if it is possible to change, and if
> so what type of string do I need to set the entry to to point the
> gateway to tun0?
>
> <li type="int" value="2565386"/>
>         <li type="int" value="24"/>
>         <li type="int" value="16949258"/>
>
> to:
>
> <li type="int" value="2565386"/>
> <li type="int" value="24"/>
> <li type="(string|char|???)" value="tun0"/>
>
> I cannot seem to get the combination right (if it will work at all)

This isn't going to work since the IP address/prefix/gw triplet has to
be numeric.  At some point we'll switch them over to just strings
(there's a patch to do that already) but that's not going to help you
much since it still won't take an interface.  Nobody should ever have to
enter an interface name anywhere, especially since the interface won't
always be tun0.

I'm 99% certain the routes list does *not* require a gateway, in fact I
just tested that and it shouldn't need one.  What exactly happens when
you just don't enter a gateway in the Routes... dialog?

Dan