Re: networkmanager gets another IP than dhclient

marc wrote:
 > Le 26/03/2010 17:40, Markus Feldmann a écrit :
 > > Hi All,
 > >
 > > i am using Debian Lenny 32bit in a local Network with a DDNS+DHCP
 > > Server. Client and Server are both Debian Lenny. My DHCP works. The
 > > clients get IP's from the DHCP server. But the networkmanager lets me
 > > get <192.168.0.196> and dhclient <192.168.0.185>. I don't know why? Has
 > > somebody any idea.
 >
 > A DHCP client can request one of these two things:
 >
 > - please lease me this address (again) if it still available, or
 > - please lease me any address
 >
 > NetworkManager requests the latter. I think a feature request has
 > already been filed so NM requests the former; check the archive.

it's a very rare dhcp server that won't give you the same address
you had before, if it's available.  unless you specifically decline
that address, you'll almost certainly keep getting the same one over and
over.

what seems more likely is that in one case or the other, the dhcp
client is passing a client id to the server, which will be used
instead of the mac address as a way of looking up the client in
the server's datastore.  to the server, your debian box will look
like two different clients:  one identifying itself by mac
address, and the other by client-id.

paul
 paul fox, pgf laptop org