Re: Disabling wireless networking.

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 11:43 -0300, José Queiroz wrote:
> Sorry for the naive answer, but, if you're not using wireless, why do
> you have a wireless adapter in your system?

It's a laptop (high end developer laptop) with built in bluetooth and
802.11 a/b/g/n wifi.  Why do I have it?  I am using it.  Sometimes when
I don't have hard wired.  It's build-in so removing it is non-trivial
and sort of senseless if you think about it.

> Is this some kind of mobile device, like a noteboot/netbook? Doesn't
> it have some kind of "rfkill" button???

It does but it only controls the bluetooth for some reason.  My previous
laptop, it controlled both but not this one for some reason.  It's my
understanding that the switch is a soft switch, in any case, which does
not physically or electrically disable the device itself and depends on
the OS and drivers to do the right thing.  So it may be a driver issue
at that.  But should it be in the kernel drivers or handled by NM?  I
don't see the Wifi antenna symbol light up until NM is active.

Regardless, it should be possible to configure NM to do what I want, not
arbitrarily always what it thinks it should in spite of what I've set it
to.  That's been my perpetual complaint about NM.  I concur with the
idea that things should just work out of the box, but then it should
obey what I want it to do, if I don't want it to do what it's doing.
It's a vast improvement over the bad old days where almost nothing was
properly configurable and I'm glad to see that this, at least, has been
already addressed in a newer release and that I'm not the only one with
this annoyance.  That's progress.

Mike