Re: MeeGo support

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 08:18 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 11:45 +0100, Tiago Cogumbreiro wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>

> >> I am trying to install NetworkManager in MeeGo. When I
> >> run ./autogen.sh I get the following (selected) output:
> >>

> >> [...]
> >> checking for /etc/frugalware-release... no
> >> checking for /etc/mandriva-release... no
> >> checking for /etc/pardus-release... no
> >> ./configure: line 13672: lsb_release: command not found
> >> Linux distribution autodetection failed, you must specify the
> >> distribution to target using --with-distro=DISTRO
> >>

> >> How difficult is it to have NetworkManager work on MeeGo? How can I
> >> help?
> >
> > Probably not too difficult as long as Meego has the basic dependencies
> > (dbus-glib, policy-kit, libgudev, etc).  That could be the sticking
> > point.
> >
> > The configure stuff you see is largely ignorable, we can easily add some
> > new checks to recognize Meego.  There are only a few things that depend
> > on the distribution these days, and those usually have sane defaults.
> >
> > So, what do you have for:
> >
> > ls /etc/*-release
>
> I think its meego-release, it might still be moblin-release. They
> don't have the usual init system, they replaced it with fastinit but I
> don't think that would cause a massive issue for NM.

Nah, MM doesn't care since it usually gets auto-started by the
connection manager via dbus activation.  Ideally udev rules could start
MM for any class of hardware it migth be able to drive, and if it can't
actually drive it, MM quits.  ie, if there arent' any usable modems, MM
shouldn't really be running.  That's either a udev thing, or an
init-daemon (ie upstart, systemd, or whatever) thing.  Haven't quite
gotten there yet though.