Re: NM under Fedora-13

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 12:43 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I am running Fedora-13 on my laptop,
> installed from the KDE Live CD.
> I had a little difficulty starting NM;
> it didn't seem to work properly
> until I had re-booted a couple of times.
> However, it seems to be working fine now.

Odd.  NM itself starts as a system service, so when you've booted up,
you can:

ps ax | grep Network

or just run 'nm-tool' in a terminal and you'll see if NM is indeed
running.

> (Fortunately, I find the network service
> actually works nowadays, so I have a backup
> if NM fails for some reason.)

It will, for wired and open/wep wifi, but not for WPA or 3G.

> I notice that the icon in my panel has changed,
> to something that looks like a petrol pump
> at a filling station,
> or maybe a piece of chemical apparatus.
> I think the old icon (with bars to indicate signal strength)
> was better.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the KDE people are doing WRT to icons, but the
icons come from your desktop's current icon theme.  So this would be an
issue for KDE developers to handle.

> I also notice that I am running knetworkmanager
> (maybe this is his/her icon?)
> but I don't understand who told this program to run,
> as it doesn't seem to be mentioned in /etc/NetworkManager?

The graphical NM applets (knetworkmanager and nm-applet) are run
automatically on login.  They usually hide themselves when NM isn't
running.  Look at /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop for the GNOME
applet, or in whatever location KDE login items are normally handled.
The applet startup is all handled by your desktop environment, not by NM
itself.

Dan