Re: Number of wireless scans before trying autoconnection

Dan,

If I undersand correctly, what you say is that we "count" the times the signal SCAN_RESULTS gets emitted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also you mention to request two back to back scans at startup. My question on this is:

- Is the method auto_activate_device (gpointer user_data) the one in charge of initially activating all interfaces?

- If so, is it here where you say we should use the method request_wireless_scan twice in order to get two scans scheduled?

You say to reduce the constant SCAN_INTERVAL_MIN to 11, In any case the initial value of that constant is 0 so I think you mean to increase it, right?

If the start code for an interface is within auto_activate_device, I don't see where the initial scans are being requested. What I understand NM does, is a lot of processes executed in parallel, some of them (or most) triggered by different signals. What I mean by this is since I don't see any scan request on auto_activate_device -and I think that here is where the wireless iface gets activated- I'm assuming that the scan requests are made by another process running in parallel.

If this is the case, I thought one could -within auto_activate_device- wait and count the times the SCAN_RESULTS signal gets emitted, and after X emissions, pass through to get_best_auto_connection.

A pseudocode for this would be something like this:

auto_activate_device (gpointer user_data)
{
    ActivateData *data = "" *) user_data;
    NMPolicy *policy;
            g_slist_free (iter);
       }
        iter = next;
    }

WHILE SCAN-COUNT < X DO {} /*SCAN-COUNT gets updated in the callback function of the emitted SCAN_RESULT signal*/

    best_connection = nm_device_get_best_auto_connection (data->device, connections, &specific_object);

 out:
    /* Remove this call's handler ID */
    policy->pending_activation_checks = g_slist_remove (policy->pending_activation_checks, data);
    g_object_unref (data->device);
    g_free (data);

    return FALSE;
}

Then in the callback function to the scan_results:

supplicant_iface_scan_results_cb (NMSupplicantInterface *iface,
                                  guint32 num_results,
                                  NMDeviceWifi *self)
{
    priv = getPrivate(self);
    priv->SCAN-COUNT++;/*Defined previously within NMDeviceWIFI*/
    if (num_results == 0) {
        /* ensure that old APs get culled, which otherwise only
         * happens when there are actual scan results to process.
         */
        cull_scan_list (self);
    }
}

What do you think about this? Am I getting it all wrong?

Thank you very much.

Cheers

2010/7/28 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:32 -0300, Franco Miceli wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for your answer. I see what you say. You can request X number
> of scans without being sure that the firmware will execute them.
>
> I understand that to do what I say, that would be mandatory. But in
> order to mitigate the problem of not seeing all AP in range at the
> start of the autoconnect feature, could one delay the autoconnect
> algorithm so that it would wait for several scans to be made?

Yes, this could be done.  If you'd like to do a patch for this there are
a few ways you could go about it.

Since we don't get reliable scan indications, we should just do two
back-to-back scans on startup.  The problem is trying to figure out when
they are *done*.  That requires both a 10 second timeout after
requesting the scan and a 2-second backoff timer that gets reschedule
for two more seconds each time a scan result comes in while the 10
second timeout timer is active.  If either of the 10-second timeout or
the 2-second backoff timer fire, then we increment a 'guint32 num_scans'
variable in NMDeviceWifiPrivate.

Then, reduce SCAN_INTERVAL_MIN to 11 (so it doesn't overlap with the
10-second backoff timer).

Next, put a check in real_get_best_auto_connection() to return NULL if
num_scans < 2 (so we do 2 scans before allowing autoconnect).

Finally, we need a way to tell NMPolicy to retrigger autoconnect
checking, which probably means another signal on NMDeviceInterface
called "recheck-autoactivate" that gets emitted when num_scans changes
to 2.  The Policy listens to this variable and calls
schedule_activate_check() when the signal is emitted.

Dan