Re: Get uuid of connection

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 14:49 -0400, Daniel Gnoutcheff wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 11:41 AM, Arlen Nascimento wrote:
> > Ok, i could add a connection, but it is a system connection.
> > As far as i noted, in order to this connection I created be detected by
> > the scripts i'm using, it has to be a user connection.
> > How to create a user connection in the command line?
>
> I'm afraid that is much more difficult to do.  The method of adding user
> connections is dependent on which NetworkManager client is in use. Each
> client choses its own method of storing config data and then exports
> that over DBus for the daemon to use.  Most (all?) NM clients don't
> support editing user connections over DBus, so you would need to edit
> the config files directly.  For example, nm-applet stores its config
> data in GConf under /system/networking/connections.  gconftool-2 may be
> useful for editing that.

I think KNetworkManager does support the full settings D-Bus interface
as a user settings service.  nm-applet does not because there are/were
security concerns allowing random programs to read/write network
configuration.  But yes, you can write a complete network connection to
GConf even using "gconftool-2 --load <xmlfile>" and get a network
connection.  Adding passwords to the keyring is a bit more complex and
would involve using Python or C and talking to the gnome keyring daemon
(though I hear they now have a D-Bus interface too).

Dan