Re: ['N-M is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"']

>On 06/16/2010 01:01 PM, ddreamer ms93 url com tw wrote:
>> Hi, Dear:
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with regular update. There is a red exclamation
>> mark at the right lower corner of the nm-applet icon. Of course, there
>> was no signal level. Clicking it results in the message of
>> "NetworkManager is not running".
>>
>> Looking up daemon.log, I found the following message:
>> NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not
>> acquire the NetworkManager service.#012 Error: 'Connection ":1.216" is
>> not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" due to
>> security policies in the configuration file'
>> NetworkManager: <WARN> main(): Failed to start the dbus service.
>
>Yep, that certainly would cause problems, and it's not altogether
>surprising that this would happen. The DBus system daemon has a very
>strong security policy, and daemons like NetworkManager need to setup
>specific security exceptions in order to work. Normally, this is
>something that distributions take care of, but here it seems to have
>broken somehow.
>
>More specifcally, NetworkManager needs to be able to claim the bus name
>"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" on the DBus system bus. By default, no
>application is allowed to claim any bus names, so we need to configure
>DBus to allow N-M to claim that name.
>
>On Ubuntu, the file
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf
>is supposed to take care of that. What does that file contain on your
>system?

Sorry for replying late. Somehow, I didn't receive the messages. I found
messages following my original one only after I viewed the archive by topic.
I have replaced three "deny" by "allow", which were marked at the end of the
line as "#deny". Supposedly, strings following "#" will be ignored as remark.
Here is the file content of NetworkManager.conf:

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC
"-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
<policy user="root">
<allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
<allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.PPP"/>
</policy>
<policy user="haldaemon">
<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
<allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
</policy>
<policy at_console="true">
<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.AccessPoint"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Connection.Active"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Cdma"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Wired"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Gsm"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Serial"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Wireless"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.DHCP4Config"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.IP4Config"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Connection"/>
</policy>
<policy context="default">
<allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/> #deny
<allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings"/> #deny

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/> #deny
<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings"/>

<!-- The org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection.Secrets
interface is secured via PolicyKit.
-->
</policy>

<limit name="max_replies_per_connection">512</limit>
</busconfig>