Re: Connection sharing with WPA/WPA2

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 18:04 +0100, Gonsolo wrote:
> >> I wanted to inform you that I was able to share my connection with
> WEP64 but
>  >> not WPA/WPA2.
>  >>
>  >> I am connecting my Ipod Touch 2nd generation to my notebook (ath5k based
>  >> WLAN card, Ubuntu Karmic) which is connected to the internet via UMTS
>  >> (Huawei E220, "option" kernel module).
>  >> It works with WEP64 encryption but not with WPA/WPA2 encryption.
>  >>
>  >> Is that problem known?
>  >> I would be happy to provide more information (lsmod, log messages, etc).
>  >> Should I file a bug?
>  >> If so, where (Launchpad, Gnome, Fedora)?
>
> Am 17.01.2010 17:58, schrieb Quintin Beukes:
> > The type of encryption shouldn't make a difference to sharing ability.
> > It's 2 completely differently networking layers.
> >
> > Though, how are you sharing it? Are you building custom firewall
> > rules, or using some automated sharing via a configuration option?
>
> No, very simple: Plug in UMTS Stick and WLAN Pcmcia card, connect mobile
> broadband via NetworkManager and then create a new WLAN network also via
> NetworkManager like it is explained in
> http://magazine.redhat.com/2008/10/16/video-fedora-10-connection-sharing/ .
> It automatically adds DNS forwarding via dnsmasq (,I guess).
>
> And, how I said, it works with WEP64 but not with with WPA.

What type of wifi card?  It may be that driver issues prevent the wifi
card from completing the WPA Ad-Hoc network.  WPA Ad-Hoc is more complex
than WEP ad-hoc and there have been kernel driver issues with that
configuration in the past.  What kernel version are you using, what wifi
hardware, and what wifi driver?