Re: "/etc/init.d/NetworkManager quit" ?

On 02/27/2010 11:05 AM, Graham Lyon wrote:
> The point you're missing here is that network manager solves a very real
> problem with links going down after boot time and not automatically
> coming back up when they're available again (Read as: laptop users). A
> daemon was necessary to fix this and nothing like it had been done
> before. The design, therefore, is not perfect and so regressions are
> inevitable. This does not mean, however, the the init scripts were
> better - they just had 15 years or so to mature ;)
>
> On 27 February 2010 14:47, Dominik George <nik naturalnet de
> <mailto:nik naturalnet de>> wrote:
>

>     > For use on servers: because it means that you only have to learn
>     one tool.
>     > Also, why not? ;)
>     >
>     This, dear fellow user, I will not discuss publicly, as I would probably
>     be banned from the list ;).
>
>     In short: NetworkManager is all in all a single pain in the a.... . Both
>     on Desktops *and* on servers.
>
>     So why not stick to traditional runlevel control when t is known to work
>     better?

If you move around and connect to multiple AP's, traditional runlevel control is
a PITA. With NM, you can create the new connection with the GUI. If it already
exists, a single click brings it up. For systems with only wired connections, I
don't use it, but if it has wireless, it is very useful.

Larry