Re: "/etc/init.d/NetworkManager quit" ?

The point you're missing here is that network manager solves a very real problem with links going down after boot time and not automatically coming back up when they're available again (Read as: laptop users). A daemon was necessary to fix this and nothing like it had been done before. The design, therefore, is not perfect and so regressions are inevitable. This does not mean, however, the the init scripts were better - they just had 15 years or so to mature ;)

On 27 February 2010 14:47, Dominik George <nik naturalnet de> wrote:

> For use on servers: because it means that you only have to learn one tool.
> Also, why not? ;)

This, dear fellow user, I will not discuss publicly, as I would probably
be banned from the list ;).

In short: NetworkManager is all in all a single pain in the a.... . Both
on Desktops *and* on servers.

So why not stick to traditional runlevel control when t is known to work
better?

-nik