Re: "/etc/init.d/NetworkManager quit" ?

I am afraid that this new "half stop" is going to confuse people.  In
most systems "/etc/init.d/NetworkManager" is replacing
"/etc/init.d/network[ing]". The latter, older one used to connect the
system on "start" and disconnect it on "stop". Simple. Now the new one
will disconnect the system... sometimes. Sometimes not. And it might
even leave a running process behind. This will surprise people.

If NM replaces traditional networking in RC, then what I would expect that it will get networking up on start and down on stop. That's exactly what you describe NM to be doing ;).

Or am I misunderstanding something?

-nik