Re: NetworkManager doesn't detect my device

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 06:50 -0800, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> The interesting part was mentioned in the above blog article. It's
>
>     Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0af0:6971 Option
>
> matching the output of hal-find-by-capability.

NM 0.7.1 and later don't use HAL for detecting mobile broadband devices
for various reasons.  (basically, many devices use the same USB IDs for
very different hardware, and firmware often switches around the
PPP-capable ports so .fdi files are useless).

Instead, it uses a little udev helper called nm-modem-probe to ask the
port what its capabilities are.

What specific version of NetworkManager are you using on F11?  What's
the output of 'udevadm info --export-db' for the block representing your
device's serial ports?

Your device may need a "modeswitch" before it can be used.  Also, you
may have new enough firmware that the device needs to be driven by the
'hso' driver instead of 'option'.

dan