Re: OpenVPN Problem

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 12:33 +0100, rh wrote:

> Dan Williams schrieb:
> > On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 15:40 +0100, rh wrote:
> >
> > > R.Hnat

> > > No there is no reaction.
> > >
> > > rh Ligeti:~$ killall -TERM nm-openvpn-service
> > > nm-openvpn-service: no process found
> > > rh Ligeti:~$ OPENVPN_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/nm-openvpn-service
> > > bash: /usr/libexec/nm-openvpn-service: No such file or directory
> > >

> > Oh sorry... Debian-based distros put it elsewhere.  Try this:
> >
> > killall -TERM nm-openvpn-service
> > OPENVPN_DEBUG=1 /usr/lib/network-manager-openvpn/nm-openvpn-service
> >
> > and then lets see what it prints out.  If it's not there, then
> >
> > dpkg -L network-manager-openvpn | grep nm-openvpn-service
> >
> > will tell you where the binary is located.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> OPENVPN_DEBUG=1 /usr/lib/network-manager-openvpn/nm-openvpn-service does nothing and has to be stopped with ^C.

It won't print anything until it's told to make a VPN connection by
NetworkManager.  So just to confirm, you run this command, and then
you're choosing your VPN connection from the menu to start it, right?
And you get no output?

And you're running them as root, right?

Can you provide /var/log/daemon.log for me after this failure has
occurred?

> And here is what dpkg... says:
> rh Ligeti:~$ dpkg -L network-manager-openvpn |grep nm-openvpn-service
> /usr/lib/network-manager-openvpn/nm-openvpn-service
> /usr/lib/network-manager-openvpn/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-openvpn-service.conf
> /etc/NetworkManager/VPN/nm-openvpn-service.name
>
> Might it be that the problem is that all these files are 'root-owned'
> and not executable from a simple user?

No, they are supposed to be root owned since they are security sensitive
and must launch privileged processes (your VPN).  Normally they are
spawned automatically by NetworkManager when needed, so the only time
they are really run by a user is for debugging.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this...