Re: NetworkManager, dbus, 3G USB Modems and SMS

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> At the moment, ModemManager only has SMS send implemented; reading
> messages isn't implemented yet even though the API is there.

I was hoping to write a simple app in java to talk to ModemManager via
dbus, but if retrieving messages is not implemented I probably won't
bother just yet.

> Not yet; we'll get to it eventually but if you want to help push this
> forward, that would be great.

I would love to help, but I don't know what I can do. C/C++ aren't my
areas of expertise, but I do write some C occasionally.

> Yeah, we have to a bit careful about this though.  Some considerations:

Interesting analysis of the facts. The sms bombing was not something I
had yet considered.

> A good start would be simple patches to inspect the modem's supported
> character sets during initialization time, and then to convert SMSes
> that come in from D-Bus to the character set, encode them for the AT
> command, and send them out.  That's a fairly contained, simple patch.
> Interested? :)

I'm not committing to anything yet :) I hardly ever write anything in
C, and I'm not familiar with ModemManager source. But I will take a
look.

Clearly someone else out there had similar thoughts to myself. Very
informative message. If I decide to look into those ModemManager
charset detection patches, I will let you know.

Cheers,