NetworkManager, dbus, 3G USB Modems and SMS

Hello,

I posted something like this to the fedora list late last week, but
figured I should try the proper channels.

Can I write a program which will talk to NetworkManager or
ModemManager over dbus to send and receive sms messages? Will this
work while connected to a mobile broadband service on the same modem?

Is anyone out there already working on something like this?

I'm sure we all know that lots of 3G/GSM usb modems and mobile
telephones present an AT style modem interface over which sms can be
sent and retrieved.

I imagine the ideal solution is some kind of sms service provider,
which itself could be accessed via dbus, with integration in email or
IM clients.

I have had a quick look at the NetworkManager dbus api documentation,
but I have not got my head around it all yet.

And I'm aware of gnokii/gammu wammu et al, these solutions require
exclusive access to the usb serial interface of a 3g modem.

Rationale:

I have a 3G usb modem which i use to connect to mobile broadband. This
service is pretty much connected whenever I use my computer.

Often my provider sends SMS messages to the phone number of the usb
modem, for example, to give warnings about going over quota (which I
recently did). I would love a way to access these messages while
connected to mobile broadband.

Cheers,