Re: NetworkManager not connects to my wireless network

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 14:24 +0100, Andras Vernes wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> > Jan  7 14:53:17 bumfi NetworkManager: <WARN>  connection_get_settings_cb(): connection_get_settings_cb: Invalid connection: 'NMSettingWireless' / 'bssid' invalid: 1
> >
> > This seems to be an error in KNetworkManager, and it could be causing
> > the issues you describe...  It seems liek the issue is that after you
> > enter your network information, the GUI client doesnt' correctly send it
> > to NetworkManager.
> >
> > Dan
>
>    Thanks a lot for the hint.
>    I've switched to the gnome desktop and now my wireless network can be
> activated.
>    Unfortunately, however, is still something wrong because although I
> set correctly my
>    passphrase for WPA & WPA2  Personal, my wireless network remains
> unavailable,
>    see the attached log-file of NetworkManager, for example.

It looks like you've set the wifi connection to be "shared" to other
users.  That creates a private network on your wifi device that other
users can access and if you have an existing internet connection, those
other users can easily share that existing internet connection over that
wifi network you've told NM to create.

I'm guessing you probably want to connect to an actual access point
instead?  If so, right-click on the nm-applet icon in the gnome panel,
choose "Edit connections", click the wifi tab, find your connection in
the list, edit it using the "Edit..." button or double click it, and in
the IPv4 tab, change "Shared to other computers" to "Automatic".  Hit
Apply, then choose the connection again from the menu.  That should
direct NM to try associating to an access  point of that name instead of
starting a shared connection.