my modem does not work on NM

Hello,

I've been usign Network-Manager for some years now and I love it. I use
it for Wired, Wireless and PPTP VPNs.

But... I was never able to use my 3G modem properly. Recently I updated
to Debian squeeze, with NM 0.8.1-1, but the modem still does not work.
It's a Huawei E220 (Portuguese provider Vodafone).

((( I have tested with a Globetroter modem from a friend and it works
just fine ))). So I still find NM a great piece of help. But it does not
work with my 3G modem.

So... what can I do to make it work ? There must be something...

I know the modem works because I use "betavine
VMCCDFL" (https://forge.betavine.net) software and it simply works. But
I really would like to use NM only. When I use betavine, NM does not
detect the conenction and does not let me boot the VPN
connections :( ... can I make it detect the connection somehow ?

Cheers
jmf