Re: How to save pin number and auto-connect on startup?

Hi Achim,

> > Now here's the problem: the PIN is specific to the *SIM*, not the
> > device.  But most modems don't allow us to request the IMSI (the SIM's
> > serial #) before we've entered the PIN, so we have no idea which PIN to
> > use with this device.  Chicken+egg problem really.  There may be some
> > ways to work around this (store the PIN with whatever attributes we
> > *can* get from the device) and just do best-effort, asking the user when
> > we can't figure it out.  Needs to be written though.
>
> Are there already patches available?
> Or can this be disabled (naturally with the loss of the feature for which the
> PIN is needed)?

in theory the ICCID could be used to unique identify the SIM card, but
depending on the broken modem hardware this might work or in most cases
it won't work. The modem has to offer you proper read support to its
filesystem for the files that are not protected by the PIN.

> For me, a "default" PIN which is entered one time and which is always used
> (independent of the device/modem) would be perfect. If the "default" is not
> working, ask me (the user) with this popup :-)

This is a bad idea since every failure will increase the retry counter.
And if it accidentally reaches 3 you need out of a sudden the PUK. If
you enable a PIN on your SIM card, then you need to enter it manually.
That is the intent of the PIN code. If you don't want it then please
just disable it.

> As I have a build-in modem in my laptop, everytime I boot or even on every
> resume from suspend I have to enter the PIN which is really annoying. Using NM
> 0.8.1 from Debian Squeeze.

See my comment above. If you reboot it is the intent to enter the PIN
code if you enable it. Same as on your cellphone.

If you suspend/resume, then that is a BIOS bug with the killswitch
taking the modem device off the bus and rebooting it for you. Modern
laptops should not be doing that and just put the modem in S3, but that
is a different story.

Regards

Marcel