Re: Changes between NetworkManager 0.8 and 0.8.1

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 18:41 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 19:13 +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> > Are there any docs on the differences or changes between NetworkManager
> > 0.8 and 0.8.1? The settings seems to have changed between 0.8 and 0.8.1.
> >
> > If I upgrade to 0.8.1 from 0.8, NetworkManager won't work any more but
> > if I downgrade back to 0.8, it all starts working again.
> >
> > What changes were made?
>
> Over 650 commits; 80 bugs closed, etc.  What exactly is the problem, and
> when you say "doesn't work" what do you mean?

See below.

> > Finally, from commments made on Gentoo forums it looks like
> > NetworkManager prefers to work with dhclient rather than with dhcpcd. Is
> > this true?
>
> Not true actually; it'll work with either.  There was recently a bug
> where if you had dhcp3 installed and had built NM with
> --without-dhclient, that NM would still try to use dhclient.  That's
> since been fixed.  You can always select your preferred DHCP client
> using dhcp-client=[dhclient|dhcpcd] in the [main] section of the config
> file too though.

Aha, that's the exact problem I had! I'd better get Gentoo to put out a
fixed version, I'll have to file a bug report.

Once I move to 0.8.1 I'll carry on with the changes to add 56K modems.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

One very high maintenance cat living here.