Re: Is udev necessary for NM plug-in?

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 15:04 +0800, Mu Qiao wrote:
> I've made a mistake that I didn't make autoconnect=TRUE for the
> connection. This is why the system configuration was not correctly
> setup:P.
> As a result, I can setup connection totally without udev. So what we
> can benefit from udev? Why does ifupdown use it?

Mainly because the /etc/network/interfaces file describes the network
settings for a particular *interface*, not generic connections that can
be applied to any device.  So you have settings for eth0, settings for
wlan0, etc.  (apparently these config blocks aren't *necessarily* tied
to a specific interface, but everyone uses them this way)

But the problem (and what NM tries hard to avoid) is that configuration
does not have to be specific to an interface, and you certainly don't
want just one configuration for an interface.  If you're at home, eth0
might be using DHCP, but at work it might be static IP.

But since people who use /etc/network/interfaces directly expect that
the block for "eth0" will only apply to eth0.  So ifupdown uses udev to
grab the MAC address for eth0, and lock the NMConnection that it makes
out of that /e/n/i block only to eth0.  If it didn't do this, then the
NMConnection that it made would apply to *any* ethernet connection,
including a USB dongle you plug in.

Dan