Suggestion for Shared Connection: Reserve IPs for MAC Addresses

Hi all,

I saw a discussion initiated by Andy Ringsmuth in Sep. 2009 regarding
changing the "DHCP range in Network Manager"
(http://www.mail-archive.com/networkmanager-list gnome org/msg13788.html).
In addition to what Andy suggested, I'd like add another feature that
goes even further than just controlling the range of IPs and Subnet:

* Reserve IP addresses for specific MAC addresses
* Do not hand out addresses from the defined range other than for
reserved MAC addresses.

I know, that this is way beyond making NM simple, but I would really
like see this feature.

Also, what happens if you have multiple interface set to shared? Will NM
automatically use a different IP subnets? Or will it fail? Can't really
test this here since I only have two interfaces to play with (one WiFi,
one wired). Anyway...

Would anybody like to share his/her thoughts on that?

Kay
--
  Kay Wrobel
  kwrobel letterboxes org