Preconfiguring WEP keys for network manager

Dear All,

I've just joined this list, so I hope I'm asking this question in the right place. What I'm trying to do is to deploy a large number of new company laptops, all with the ESSID/WEP key preconfigured. We're using Ubuntu's Ubiquity with automatic install from a USB stick. So I need to write some shell script whose effect will be that Network Mananger already knows the WEP key for the default network, with no further user interaction.

If I put the key into /etc/network/interfaces, then on boot, the machine does come up with the network connected, but as soon as it goes out of range, the connection is lost, and NM is unable to reconnect.

The wep key simply isn't "precious" data, and I'd like to get NM to use a configuration file which doesn't need unlocking, and which never prompts the user. These machines will need to be remotely accessible, so if the relevant Wifi is in range, the latop must automatically connect to it, without waiting on the user to click OK, or authorise anything.

Is there anything I can do here?

Thanks for your help,

Richard