Re: ModemManager and e160

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 10:41 +0200, Georg Grabler wrote:
> Dear .. all :-).
>

> I've been using Network Manager (KNetworkManager) for quite some time
> now. Due to a problem with my huawei e220 (instability), I got myself
> a huawei e160.

The E220 is well-known to require firmware updates to be fully stable
with Linux, not just NM.

> Lately I installed networkmanager 0.8 and modemmanager 0.3. Since
> that, my modem is still found, but it seems as if it's not initialized
> properly. I can activate it / connect, but activating the state
> changes to connecting (Activating), but immediately (1 second to five
> seconds?) switches back to a state as if i never tried to connect / as
> if it couldn't get a connection.

The best thing to do is to follow the directions here:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging

under the section "Debugging NetworkManager 0.8.x 3G connections".  We
specifically want the modem-manager --debug logs, which should tell us
what is going wrong with the device.  If you can get those, we can debug
further and probably figure out what's going wrong.

Dan