ModemManager and e160

Dear .. all :-).

I've been using Network Manager (KNetworkManager) for quite some time now. Due to a problem with my huawei e220 (instability), I got myself a huawei e160.

Lately I installed networkmanager 0.8 and modemmanager 0.3. Since that, my modem is still found, but it seems as if it's not initialized properly. I can activate it / connect, but activating the state changes to connecting (Activating), but immediately (1 second to five seconds?) switches back to a state as if i never tried to connect / as if it couldn't get a connection.

Note: With the e220 it works properly, so I think it's probably some kind of initialization problem (in modemmanager?). If I try it with wvdial, it works fine.

The modem gets in an enough unusable state, that I can't connect at all anymore (not with wvdial or with networkmanager). I've tried both, KNetworkManager and gnome networkmanager applet.

Is there any way to backtrace it properly / provide help on this? I've tried making a bug report, but for some reason the gnome bugtracker won't send me my activation e-mail (grml).

Output I could get:
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyUSB0) starting connection 'bob.at'
NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyUSB0): device state change: 3 -> 4 (reason 0)
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyUSB0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyUSB0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyUSB0): device state change: 4 -> 6 (reason 0)
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyUSB0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyUSB0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyUSB0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyUSB0): device state change: 6 -> 4 (reason 0)
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyUSB0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
NetworkManager: <WARN>  stage1_prepare_done(): GSM modem connection failed: (32) No cause information available
NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyUSB0): device state change: 4 -> 9 (reason 1)
NetworkManager: <info>  Marking connection 'bob.at' invalid.
NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyUSB0) failed.
NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyUSB0): device state change: 9 -> 3 (reason 0)
NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyUSB0): deactivating device (reason: 0).

Kind regards,
Georg