Re: network-manager-openvpn

Le mardi 22 septembre 2009 à 23:09 -0700, Dan Williams a écrit :

> > > Yes, this is something that's been on the map for a while but there was
> > > other stuff that we considered more important.  It will take some rework
> > > internally in NetworkManager, though NM 0.7 already has half the work
> > > done.

> > > The 0.7 openvpn plugin should already be able to import an openvpn
> > > connection, but I think we just never got around to implementing export.
> >
> > Every configuration parameter should be importable/modifiable, not only
> > the ones used in a given configuration.
> >
> > > What specific configuration were you having problems with?  Can you
> > > attach that config so we can see what's going on with it?
> >
> > My config was attached :) But someone may need to use other parameters
> > as well.

> > > 0.7 already provides the ability to specify custom routes to apply to
> > > the connection in addition to any routes sent by the server.
> >

> > Read slowly, im not talking about routes here, talking about all the
> > openvpn parameters that are not yet configurable/importable with the
> > current graphical interface. They could just be configured through or
> > imported into a single listbox as described above.
>
> But that's *horrible* UI and not something I'd like to condone.  I'd
> rather add the options on an as-needed basis to ensure we don't just
> dump everything in, and find out that we overloaded the UI with 50
> options that almost nobody uses.  Which I suspect is true for at least
> half of openvpn's options, because they did absolutely no work in
> consolidating them and asking the people who requested the options what
> they were actually trying to accomplish to constrain the number of
> switches that openvpn supports.  I'm interested in making it work for 90
> - 95% of use-cases, but I don't think we should be designing for that
> last 5%, especially when it makes things nearly unusable for the other
> 90.
>
> Dan

Your judgment is totally subjective. What I did suggest is not more
horrible than the UI to define routes actually, did you read
thoroughly ?...

I suggest a listbox in a another panel (like the routes panel) with an
popup or a text field to specify which option to set in the first
column , and a second column to set the value.

Maybe you and your extended "me" (people you know of) will never add any
other options in this listobx, but i doesnt mean nobody will.

Concerning usability, it doesnt makes things nearly unusable for the
other 90 you know of, since they actually dont need to use any other
parameters. More, to display the listbox the user would need to press a
button, like for adding routes.

Concerning current usability, theres no way to specify missing openvpn
options people may need.

Objectively we cannot call it "openvpn GUI", but rather an uncomplete
version of an openvpn GUI.

It is like a ftp, pop3 or http client that doesnt implement the full
protocol. The only difference is that there is no alternative choice for
an openvpn GUI integrated to the network manager.

Sincerly,

L:üC: