Re: network-manager-openvpn

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 22:24 +0200, Luc Deschenaux wrote:
> Le dimanche 06 septembre 2009 à 19:12 +0200, Tim Niemueller a écrit :
> > On 06.09.2009 18:27, Luc Deschenaux wrote:
> > > Hello !
> >
> > Hello Luc.
>
> Hello everybody !
>
> > > Nice try, but you could do better :)
> >
> > Feel free to send patches.
>
> I know that patches are always welcome :)
> But i dont have the time to make it work like everybody at first glance
> will expect it should, ie: allowing to import any valid openvpn
> configuration file.
>
> Let me just send you, instead of a patch, a more serious analysis of
> what could make network-manager-openvpn less annoying:
>
> 1. It should be possible to activate simutaneously many openvpn
> configurations using checkboxes instead of radiobuttons, (in server mode
> also, say in a second time...).

Yes, this is something that's been on the map for a while but there was
other stuff that we considered more important.  It will take some rework
internally in NetworkManager, though NM 0.7 already has half the work
done.

> 2. It should be possible to "import" any openvpn configuration file, eg:

The 0.7 openvpn plugin should already be able to import an openvpn
connection, but I think we just never got around to implementing export.
What specific configuration were you having problems with?  Can you
attach that config so we can see what's going on with it?

> * Copy the config (as a file or individual parameters in gconf) and
> patch it: parse options for actually supported parameters and patch or
> add "up", "down", "cd", ...
>
> (using gconf to store openvpn parameters is much less cool when it's
> time to copy the configs directly from disk or to port the application,
> but it is ok to store the config location or other external details in
> gconf).
>
> * Options not modifiable actually by network-manager-openvpn should also
> be gathered and displayed, eg: in a dynamic listbox like for the routes,
> with an add button. There could be a pop-up in the first column to set
> or change the option name, an editable field in the second column to set
> or change its value.

0.7 already provides the ability to specify custom routes to apply to
the connection in addition to any routes sent by the server.  The plugin
does not yet support (nor I think does NM) using openvpn in a
multi-client server configuration, though peer-to-peer openvpn using a
shared secret should work just fine.

Dan