Re: two static configuration for a wired interface

Assuming that you're using Gnome (KDE isn't very different) you would right click the network manager icon in the system tray (you need to add this to your list of programs that gnome starts on session startup if it isn't already there) and select "Edit Connections...". You should now be faced with a tabbed configuration manager. Make sure that "Wired" is the active tab and click the Add button. Give it a sensible name and then go to IPv4 settings and add the IP address and netmask (you can add multiple IP addresses and netmasks to be active at any one time, as Dan has said) and fill in any other details as necessary. Do this for both configurations. You may also want to select "Available to all users" if you wish. Now, when you plug in at a different location all you need to do is left click on the network manager icon and select the profile relivent for your current location. Also, if these are the only two configurations that you wish to choose then you may want to delete hte "auto eth0" connection which is just the default created connection which does DHCP, though it does no harm leaving it there.

If these instructions are a little brief then say so and I'll happily expand on them :)

2009/9/10 Wurbel Eric <wurbel univ-tln fr>
Le jeudi 10 septembre 2009 à 13:14 -0700, Dan Williams a écrit :
> At the same time, or at different times?
>
> NM can do two completely different configurations at different times;
> since you can't really autodetect the network you're connected to easily
> with a wired interface, you'd have to select at least one manually from
> the menu or command-line when you wanted to bring it up.
>
> NM can also assign multiple IP addresses to a single device at the same
> time from the same connection.
>
> Which one are you looking for?  Let me know and I can describe a bit
> more how setup would work.
>
> Dan

What I want is two different static configurations at different times o
for one interface (one configuration for my office place and one for my
home). Switching from one config to another manually is exactly what I
want.

Thanks

Eric