ppp and "offline state"

By looking at bugs filed and words spent in several different bug
trackers and mailing lists, I fear NM developers may be quite allergic
to the words forming the subject of this email, but though indeed the
problem gathered a big attention, I didn't find any (reasonably recent)
documented answer to the three questions I'm asking, so here ends the
prologue:

1) the most clear answer I found to the claim:

"NM doesn't support generic ppp, so I must connect with
$APP_TO_HANDLE_PPP_CONNECTION and NM doesn't notice it, so
$APP_USING_NETWORK doesn't connect, thinking I'm disconnected"

is at [0] and basically says:

"nobody is working on it, if somebody would like to, please step in".

This was obviously an admissible position; is it still true, or did the
creation of MobileManager change future hopes of generic (or at least
bluetooth) ppp support in NM? I ask it because the name of the project
seems to suggest it, though in presenting it at [1], Dan only talks
about "All mobile broadbands", and the same does the README.

2) supposing that answer to 1) is "no, people connecting via a
traditional modem or a mobile via bluetooth shouldn't just hope NM
supporting them soon", then wouldn't it make sense to allow _setting_,
instead than just _querying_, online/offline status via DBUS?

This would allow, with few lines of code, tools like Gnome-PPP to say
"hey, NM, we _are_ online"[2]

Then, in the network connections menu, an item "externally managed
connection" could also possibly show up and activate...

I perfectly understand this is not something NM developers dream of,
being not part of the standard infrastructure, but it would be of huge
help to those who - like me and many people I know of (BTW, from
personal experience I frankly doubt about the 98% Alexander's estimate
in [0]) - need to connect via bluetooth/standard modems (it may be OT,
but let me mention that this is one of the few things Windows/OS X
softwares do nicely since many years and Linux Desktop doesn't).

I (don't know NM internals and) suppose some things may not work as
usually: for instance, I can imagine sharing a connection would be a
problem, if NM doesn't control it... but _this_ is really a minor
problem.

3) Why was PPP generic support dropped? Because it was broken/lacking
manpower or just because mobile broadband support covered many of the
use cases of it?

thanks for your patience in answering(/providing me pointers if the
questions are indeed answered elsewhere).

Pietro Battiston

[0]
http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/220497/
[1]
http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/03/20/thats-when-i-reach-for-my-revolver/
[2]
They could also say "hey, NM, we are online thanks to the process with
pid $pid, assume we are online as long as it is alive!", or "we are
online thanks to card ppp*, assume we are online until it exists!"...
but this is not _so_ necessary, since it would be easy, for the calling
app, to spawn a separate monitoring process which finally would say
"hey, NM, control back to you" at the end of the connection.