Re: ppp and "offline state"

Hi,

> Then, in the network connections menu, an item "externally managed
> connection"...

as stated in a similar post on lwn, I would like to strongly second the below.
There are some folks out there who are working on proprietary/corporate
connection managers (incuding myself) and currently NM just locks them out
and causes them a lot of trouble.

A few small features could easily rectify the situation and I do not think
that externally managed connections would cause too much trouble for NM:

- dbus method(s) that allows to make NM aware of a custom connection and its
status
- A dbus method that allows external applications to tell NM to leave a
particular device/interface alone

I think that nobody is asking to change major NM workings, just the very
minimum to allow custom connections to co-exist, and avoid these troublesome
Firefox, Evolution, resolv.conf etc. etc. issues.

thanks for your patience,
Chris

http://www.acurana.de/